Somewhere on the road less traveled

I am a 34 year old who recently retired, sold my home and possessions and bought an RV so I can travel America. Please come along on my adventure by following me here. Enjoy.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

"I live in a very small house, but my window looks out on a very large world."-Thoreau

5/15/2008

A cruisetastic time...

...Well I'm back from the cruise and I had a great time. Reno and I flew in to San Juan a day early and stayed right on the beach. Definitely a good way to start the trip. We sailed on the 4th and the next day was a sea day. Beautiful, sunny weather along with cold drinks so it was a good day. Tuesday we were in Aruba. I had booked a snorkeling trip for the morning but when we got there the boat had broken so it got cancelled. Oh well, made it a beach day and rented some waverunners and enjoyed the sun. Wednesday we were in Curacao. We did a ATV trip that was a blast. We started in town and made our way out to the country. I never knew that Curacao was a desert island but it is. Sand and cactus everywhere. We rode about three and a half hours and got absolutely filthy but it was a lot of fun. After that we went to a beautiful beach call Kontiki Beach. Had a great burger and some cold beers then I got a massage right there on the beach. Very nice!! Thursday was another sea day which meant I slept in, and then just lazed about all day. St. Maarten was the next stop which is an island I love. Wandered about in the morning on the Dutch side where we docked. Drank some beers and had lunch on the beach then headed over to the French side of the island and went to Orient Beach. Enjoyed the warm water and the sun and headed back to the ship. Saturday was St. Thomas and we hopped the ferry over to St. Johns. My favorite spot here in Winter Park is a little place called Shipwreck Landing North. It is a caribbean, beach bar kinda place. The owners came here from St. Johns where they ran a place called Shipwreck Landing. When they were moving they got the owners permission to bring the menu and theme up here to the mountains. Reno and I love the place so we headed to the original down there. We had lunch and a few drinks so that was fun, plus a fun bus ride on a windy mountain road. Once we got back over to St. Thomas we went to my favorite beach in the world Sapphire Beach. It is so gorgeous there and very peaceful, I love it. Unfortunately that brought us to the end of the cruise as we were back in San Juan on Sunday. We didn't fly back until Monday so we spent the day wandering around Old San Juan and then another night out at the beach. The motel was really nice. Had a great rum bar in the lobby with live salsa music and a lot of locals there. Very fun. We had sunny weather the whole trip and really beautiful scenery. Unfortunately it was snowing when we got home Monday night(5 inches by morning) and it has snowed every day since. Tough change from the previous week believe me. The ship was fabulous (Adventure of the Seas) and we met some really nice people as well. Can't wait for my next one. I did not take many pictures over the week but I will put a couple up for you all. Enjoy, Jim

San Juan -- view from our balcony.

Curacao-- ocean, desert and ATV's from up on a cliff.

Curacao-- Kontiki Beach, massage hut on left.

St. Maarten-- A bar that I have had a lot of fun at on previous cruises. To protect the innocent that is all I will say.

St. Johns-- guess where.

St. Thomas-- Sapphire Beach, ahhhhhh.

Adventure of the Seas-- royal promenade. Yup it's a real car.

Adventure of the Seas-- me dressed up.

Winter Park-- Tuesday morning. Really? Really.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The memories! I love that bar,all the construction is done and it looks really nice. I am glad you had a great time. Are you really in a T-Shirt in the snow, crazy man.

5/16/2008 9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good trip and got to do some more traveling. Good for you!
Don't let the weather shock do you in!

5/16/2008 5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know its a bit late but since we just caught up with the rest of the world and got on-line I was able to look thru your blogs for the first time in a very long time!!I have to agree the lil bar you took a pic in front of looks like a great place to spend a quiet, relaxing afternoon with some friends!!Maybe we'll get to visit it on a future cruise. Lots o love - Your conservative sis, Jennifer

10/16/2008 7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home